• AI For All
  • Posts
  • AI in Universities and the Workplace

AI in Universities and the Workplace

A Conversation with Tom Andriola from UC Irvine

Hello readers!

Operating a university is like operating a small city, and AI can certainly assist in this task. On this week’s podcast, Ryan and Neil speak with Tom Andriola, Vice Chancellor and Chief Digital Officer at UC Irvine, about AI in universities and the workplace. The conversation also covers leveraging AI in business operations, AI and the metaverse, and making AI accessible for all.

Why You Won’t Want to Miss This

  1. Discover the transformative impact of AI on educational settings, operating a university (which is like a small city), and workplace environments.

  2. Learn about the practical applications and impacts of AI tools like UC Irvine’s own ZotGPT in enhancing faculty operations.

  3. Gain insights into how AI is addressing the challenges of data management, improving decision-making, and fostering innovation across various sectors.

  4. Explore the ethical considerations and the importance of equal access to AI technologies in education and beyond.

  5. Understand the future directions of AI development and its potential to bridge the gap between physical and digital experiences.

Our Favorite Moment

“In 2019, most of our analytical models were only leveraging 3 to 5% of the data we were holding as an enterprise. Well, now all of a sudden we can open up to the other 95% of data. That is incredibly powerful. And I think that's one of the big things that's different is we were very limited in the type of data that we thought we could use and generate benefit from, we had these limitations, and those limitations have been completely lifted.”

— Tom Andriola

AI: From the Classroom to the Workplace

Meet Tom Andriola

Tom Andriola is a business and technology executive who has been at the forefront of technology-enabled transformation for three decades. He currently serves as UC Irvine’s Vice Chancellor and Chief Digital Officer, ensuring the strategic use of data and technology to transform the mission of the modern university and the future of health. He has been an innovator throughout his career, which has spanned across the public and private sector and included running businesses on four continents.

Learn More About UC Irvine

Founded in 1965, UC Irvine is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and is ranked among the nation’s top 10 public universities by U.S. News & World Report. The campus has produced five Nobel laureates and is known for its academic achievement and premier research and innovation. UC Irvine has more than 36,000 students and 224 degree programs. It’s located in one of the world’s most economically vibrant communities and is Orange County’s second-largest employer, contributing $7 billion annually to the local economy.